Maia Nebula!

The world is sick, but my smile is intact.

Saturday, June 28, 2003

Free shows for people with lots of time

One of the funniest scenes I've seen in my recent life:

They're building a new mall right in front of my neighborhood, across Calle 80. Anybody can get a nice view of the construction from the bridge that takes to the bus station. I was crossing it one sunny afternoon when I saw about 15 people at the other end, staring at the construction site. They were sitting on the bridge's railing or just leaning their elbows on it, unmoving, just gazing. I thought something had happened. Then I saw them: huge and beautiful, purple, green, orange Hitachi machines with white signs in kanji, dancing on the damp soil. I understood, then, that it was the construction itself what brought their free amusement. I thought "this is my country!" And yes, I live in the country with free shows for people with lots of time, where a simple construction site is the main attraction for a family during a lazy afternoon, where astonishment still comprises phases of life that many have chosen to ignore forevermore.

And I went on, my heart filled with a warm feeling, and a smile on my face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home